As more and more people make the shift away from refined sugars and simple carbs to more natural foods, it becomes almost a necessity to find a natural, healthy solution to satisfy that stubborn sweet tooth When fruit won't cut it and you just have to have some sweet, delicious, sugary-but-not-sugary goodness, honey is your greatest ally. While stevia works in drinks, smoothies, and other dishes, it tends to turn bitter when baked. Since agave syrup is 90% fructose (40% more than white sugar), honey is one of your best bets.
However, not all honey is created equally.
- May contain no pollen, the very thing that makes it honey. In fact anywhere from 76 - 100% of honey in restaurants and stores contains no pollen at all.
- Has been pasteurized, reducing any remaining nutritious content
- Is not checked or approved by the FDA, and therefore could be anything calling itself “honey”
- Can be laced with antibiotics and/or pesticide residues
- May simply be dyed fructose corn syrup
- Provides no health benefits, merely empty sugars
There is no such thing as ORGANIC honey. There are no USDA standards when it comes to honey, so the organic stamp can be given to any honey whose suppliers feel it is “organic”.
On the other hand, Raw Honey:
- Possesses antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal benefits
- Accelerates wound healing
- Can be used to soothe burns (including sunburns), cuts, or blemishes
- Relieves insomnia
- Soothes sore throats
- Coats and may reverse ulcers
- Ranges in color from bright gold to rich brown
- Rich with vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, enzymes & other nutrients
- Promotes healthy digestion
- Stimulates immune function
- Balances blood pressure levels
- Calms nerves
- Reduces inflammation
- Fights respiratory infections
- Relieves issues such as asthma or bronchitis
- Is easily converted into glucose in the body and used for energy
- Boosts endurance and muscle recovery
- Allays morning sickness or nausea
In addition to the benefits of being raw, Local Honey also:
- Helps the body build immunity to seasonal allergies
- Can contain powerful anti-cancer properties
- Supports the local bee population! Who doesn't want that?
To sum up, in moderation, honey can be a wonderful treat. With so many health benefits, you can indulge yourself - guilt-free!
Please note: We do not directly or indirectly give medical advice or prescribe through alternative treatment. We recommend that people contact their doctor if they need a medical diagnosis. We assume no responsibility if anyone decides to use this information, which is of historical value, for they are choosing to prescribe for themselves. Healing is sometimes a slow process, and we suggest that you do not stop taking any medications without the guidance of a doctor.