This time of year, germs seem to be everywhere. Whether it's the common cold, the flu, a stomach bug, a mystery respiratory virus, or something much, much worse, it seems like coming down with some sort of sickness is inevitable. It doesn't have to be.
Below are two lists: one containing the best things you can do to preserve and promote a healthy immune system, and another containing the worst things.
Beneath that, we have a list of things around the house that are most likely to be germ hot-spots, and things you'll want to clean very, very well.
- Probiotics: gut health comprises 80% of the immune system. Keep the gut healthy, and the immune system will be, too!
- Exercise: this boosts white blood cell activity to fight off infection.
- Weight Management: make it a goal to obtain and maintain a healthy weight. Obesity cripples the immune system and several other processes and organs in the body.
- Diet: eat organic whole food - mainly fruits and vegetables. These are high in antioxidants and nutrients the body needs to support healthy immune function.
- Supplement: some of the best natural, herbal supplements to support a healthy immune system include ionic silver, elderberry, echinacea, vitamin C, and garlic, though there are many, many more!
- Water: stay hydrated and drink half your body weight in water daily. This will allow the body to better flush out toxins.
- Smoking: this inhibits immune function and can leave the body more susceptible to disease.
- Alcohol: prevents the body from absorbing nutrients necessary to proper immune health. As a result, this causes the immune system to be sluggish in response to infection.
- Stress: it's no secret that stress damages the body. The immune system is no exception. Stress reduces immune response, weakens white blood cells, and causes inflammation. Relaxation techniques and calming herbs can help relieve tension.
- Sugar: it's no secret sugar is bad for you. Aside from meeting all the requirements of being an addictive drug, sugar also prevents white blood cells from killing germs and bad bacteria.
- Processed Foods & Sodas: the chemicals, preservatives, and pesticides used in the growing and processing of these foods are toxic on the entire body, not just the immune system. Combine this with sugar and you can say goodbye to your immune system.
- Prescription Medications: both prescribed and over-the-counter medications are very foreign and toxic to the body. They weaken the body rather than heal, and prolonged use of antibiotics can have severe damage on the immune system.
THE TOP GERM HOT SPOTS:
- The Kitchen Sink
- Kitchen Washrags/Sponges
- Children's Toy
- Keyboards/Remote Controls
- Public Soap Dispensers
- Vacuum Cleaner
The best, most effective cleaners for problems such as these are GNLD's Green, and Nature's Sunshine's Silver Shield. Both can be diluted and sprayed on objects, surfaces, and even pets! They're gentle and extraordinarily safe. We carry both!
For more information on immune-boosting supplements or any other questions you may have about this article, please feel free to contact us. We're always more than happy to help.
Please note: We do not directly or indirectly give medical advice or prescribe through alternative treatment. We recommend that people contact their doctor if they need a medical diagnosis. We assume no responsibility if anyone decides to use this information, which is of historical value, for they are choosing to prescribe for themselves. Healing is sometimes a slow process, and we suggest that you do not stop taking any medications without the guidance of a doctor.
Sourav. "What Causes a Weak Immune System?" Published 04 May, 2010.
< http://healthmad.com/health/what-causes-a-weak-immune-system/ > Accessed 21 October, 2014.
Anonymous. "6 Easy Ways to Boost Your Immune System Naturally." Published 11 September, 2014.
< http://www.budwigcenter.com/6-easy-ways-boost-your-immune-system-naturally/ > Accessed 21 October, 2014.
Alyssa Shaffer. "10 Worst Germ Hot Spots." No date.
<; http://mom.me/home/3760-10-worst-germ-hot-spots/ > Accessed 21 October, 2014.