The human body needs meat and animal products such as dairy, eggs, bone broths and gelatin. There are certain vitamins, minerals, fatty chain acids (think Omega-3s) and other nutrients that the body simply cannot glean from plant-based sources. As such, it’s important to give the body high quality, wholesome sources of these nutrients. Here, we’ll look at the differences between processed commercial and organic meats to determine which deserves that spot on your plate.
- are pumped full of synthetic hormones which can cause premature puberty in young girls and feminine physical attributes in young males.
- are high in antibiotics, attributing to the rise of so-called superbugs (antibiotic-resistant strands of common illnesses, such as the flu and the common cold)
- contain traces of GMO feed, which cause large, debilitating tumors in mice and are believed to cause cancer and untold chronic health issues in humans
- are often raised in inhumane living conditions. Chickens are often raised in CAFOS (concentrated animal feeding operations) where they are crammed, eight or more to a single unit, often living amidst their own filth and dead
- cause stomach and bowel cancers, as the World Health Organization recently announced
- are linked with a number of health issues, including but not limited to COPD, high blood pressure, heart disease, and other chronic diseases
WHEREAS ORGANIC MEATS (grassfed, wild-caught, pastured, etc…):
- are non-GMO and hormone free
- are ni-trate and ni-trite free
- contain no antibiotics
- are given time to roam in fields and eat grass (cows), insects (chickens), or are allowed to grow and fully mature in nature before harvesting (salmon)
- have higher nutrient, Omega-3, vitamin and mineral contents
- contain fewer toxins than their processed counterparts
- tend to be leaner, less fatty and more flavorful
- can possess up to five times the amount of CLA, a fatty acid that reduces the risk of cancer in addition to boosting the immune system and supporting weight management
Which should you be eating? We think the answer is pretty clear, but we'd love to hear your thoughts!
Have you tried or noticed a difference between commercial and organic meats? Let us know in the comment section below!
Reach us by phone at (423) 899-8422 or by email at naturesfinestnutrition (at) gmail.com.
Please note: We do not directly or indirectly give medical advice or prescribe through alternative treatment. We recommend that people contact their doctor if they need a medical diagnosis. We assume no responsibility if anyone decides to use this information, which is of historical value, for they are choosing to prescribe for themselves. Healing is sometimes a slow process, and we suggest that you do not stop taking any medications without the guidance of a doctor.